În 1895 în ziarul new york world se publică un articol cu
DOs & DON’Ts pentru femei atunci când merg pe bicicletă, pentru că lumea începuse să se teamă că valul emancipării feminine vine pe doo roți.
- Don’t faint on the road.
- Don’t wear a man’s cap.
- Don’t coast. It is dangerous.
- Don’t boast of your long rides.
- Don’t cultivate a “bicycle face.”
- Don’t refuse assistance up a hill.
- Don’t wear jewelry while on a tour.
- Don’t race. Leave that to the scorchers.
- Don’t imagine everybody is looking at you.
- Don’t go to church in your bicycle costume.
- Don’t chew gum. Exercise your jaws in private.
- Don’t wear white kid gloves. Silk is the thing.
- Don’t use bicycle slang. Leave that to the boys.
- Don’t discuss bloomers with every man you know.
- Don’t appear in public until you have learned to ride well.
- Don’t ignore the laws of the road because you are a woman.
- Don’t scream if you meet a cow. If she sees you first, she will run.
- Don’t cultivate everything that is up to date because you ride a wheel.